Monday, December 29, 2008

Rare-to-Find pieces from Ex-Japan have arrived....

Well... Although I could have worked on the MR2 today, I think it's a little bit too hot at the moment... coming in at about 38degree Celcius today... (That is about 102 Degree Fahrenheit for you US guys... ;-) )

But about 2 weeks ago, I did have the chance to pick up my delivery from Ex-Japan. You see... My outside trim pieces on my MR2 have started to break up pretty badly... cracks, screw holes dissappearing, etc. So, I was faced with several options...

1) Make my own out of Fiberglass... Hmmmm... Considering, I have no experience with FG, this might not be such a good idea, and will cost me a lot of $$$... after my math and enquiry about parts required... about AUS$380...

2) Purchase FG units from http://toyota-mr2-aw11-reproduction-parts.com/cpillartrim.aspx, but when it was all costed up, with freight to Perth, Western Australia, it was about AUS$500, and although perfect fit, still would require some minor work to fit them.

3) Find 2nd hand units... Now this is like trying to find hen's teeth... (Chicken Teeth... ;-} ) They are very hard to find, and especially in some decent shape. And when you do find them, they are either in the US (Delivered to US only) or the seller wants an Gold mine for it... IE: I've seen some sales go as high as $600 on ebay for these, and although used, were in good shape (Apparently)... I don't consider 2nd units worth that much, I would not be paying anymore than $300.

4) From #2, they indicated that these can be purchased from Toyota again... Hmmmm... Well, I thought I might as well give it a try and see... So I called Toyota, expecting them to be AUS$1000+++... To my suprise, they came back at about AUS$712...

Hmmmm... Up to now, my best option was #2... but at only AUS$200 difference... I might as well go for the geniune Toyota Product... So I put my order in. The ETA for them was about 10 Business days, which is just about 1 week before Christmas break, soooooo... OK.... AUS$712 poorer... Besides... They lasted about 20years on the MR2... I'm not going to expect the MR2 to last another 20years, so that might be good investment... ;-)

So... Instead of babling on about these... Here are some pics...

Top Piece... As you can see, they do come with 6x Special attachement screws...





Side Pieces... All with Rubber trim and mounting screws in place...





Side Mounting screw attachement... Looks like they are drilled in, and then glued in too... whereas the old ones had no trace of glue!!!!! Hmmmm... Improvement?... !!!!!!


Old Piece compared to new... (Old on left, new on right)


The whole new set... The sheets that it's lying on are the wrappers they are delivered with... ;-)


This is becoming more of a restoration project than a 20v AE111 conversion project... Hmmmm... :-/... But that is OK... ;-P

No comments: