Saturday, August 1, 2009

Some more work - Speedo & Spark Leads...

Well... Finally got some time to work on the MR2 again... Several things have been done other than the cleanout and sync on throttle bodies... They are spot on now.... anyway....

Speedo...
A few weeks ago, I decided to remove the speedo as there was a little dust in the cluster... I used a smooth brush to clean out the dust, and just as I was thinking of not putting too much pressure on the speedo, I accidentally hit it... and BAM... the speedo sit below 0!!!! Arrrgh!

Anyway... after some assistance from member on the MR2OC club, I've removed the speedo from the cluster, and sure enough, there is an adjustment lever on the back to adjust the 0 level.



If you enlarge (Double click on the picture) you will see the lever circled in White, and you can adjust the 0 level using this lever. It's actually very simple. As a precaution, I did double check the accuracy of the speedo, by getting my wife to drive along side me and communicate the speed via Mobile. (Please do this on an issolated track, if you do something like this)

Spark Leads...
Also got my hands on a set of New NGK spark leads... Checked the resistance of the standard leads and they were around the 6-7KOhms (Still within specs of the manual tho)... The NGK leads were around the 1-2 KOhms... with respect to performance... again a huge difference, and I could feel the difference just driving around. I don't think it produces more power, but it does rev higher much easier. Worth the investement.

Engine health in General...
The engine is still running a bit on the rich side, but it's not as bad as it was originally. In original trim, I think it might have gotten about high 15 or low 16sec 1/4, whereas now, it might be in the low 15s. I'll be doing some dyno testing very soon, so stay tuned on this...

T3 Velocity Stacks...
I also had the opportunity to purchase a set of T3 Velocity stacks. They certainly are very nicely constructed. Please note tho, these T3 Velocity stacks will NOT FIT IN THE Blacktop AIRBOX. You need to either source a new Airbox or Run with open stacks. Hence, I have not fitted them yet. I'm currently in the process of sourcing a custom Fiberglass airbox, so I'm waiting for this to arrive, and we'll perform a before (Stock blacktop airbox) and after (T3 + custom airbox setup) and show the difference in performance. I'm actually tempted to do the Stock BT Airbox, T3 Open Stack with filter and T3 Stack + Airbox... Alas, the $$$ is a bit to hard to justify, as even just the filter will set me back about US$100. Anyway... Pics of the T3 velocity stacks as I have received them below...











Measurement of one of the velocity stacks...



I'm actually quiet comfortable with the engine running a bit rich, because the standard black top Velocity stacks are considerably smaller in diameter than the T3, so basically once the T3 are installed, it will inject more air, so that it will be running just right. But this will be in a different post.... hopefully soon, so stay tuned on results...

Hopefully, in the next post, I'll be able to post up installation pictures, along with comparison pictures of the standard and T3 velocity stacks, and dyno results for all to see... So stay tuned...

No comments: